At IPEMA, our mission is to improve playground safety. For years we have stressed the importance of playground safety providing third-party product certification program for public play equipment and surfacing materials. The members of IPEMA are playground and equipment surfacing manufacturers who believe playground safety is a vital component to their work. Playground safety has significantly improved over the past 25 years through the dedicated efforts of our members and other activists. Since the Consumer Product Safety Commission issued its first safety standards for playgrounds in 1981, playground equipment and surfacing has revolutionized. In order to cushion kids’ falls, hard surfaces such as concrete, asphalt and grass have been swapped for engineered wood-fiber, soft fiber and synthetic grass. What many of us remember as “jungle gyms” or “monkey bars” have been replaced with innovative composite play systems, complex net and rock climbers and play systems rooted in educational exploration now. IPEMA prides itself in taking a role in this ongoing transformation, because many of us are parents ourselves. We understand the importance play has in our child’s development and value the security of knowing our kids are safe on the playground.
In the interest of public safety, IPEMA provides a third-party product certification program for public play equipment and surfacing materials. The services provide for the validation of a participant’s certification of conformance to one or more of the standards referenced below. TÜV SÜD America serves as the third-party validator for the program.
- ASTM F1487-17, excluding sections 7.1.1, 10, 13.1.1, 13.1.2, 13.2 and 13.3 – Standard Consumer Safety Performance Specification for Playground Equipment for Public Use
- CAN/CSA-Z614-14 (R2019), excluding clauses 10 and 11 – Children’s Playspaces and Equipment
- ASTM F1292-18 (Section 4.2) – Standard Specification for Impact Attenuation of Surfacing Materials Within the Use Zone of Playground Equipment Standard, Section 4.2, Performance Criterion
- ASTM F2075-15 – Standard Specification for Engineered Wood Fiber for Use as a Playground Safety Surface Under and Around Playground Equipment
- ASTM F3012-14 – Standard Specification for Loose-Fill Rubber for Use as a Playground Safety Surface Under and Around Playground Equipment
To learn more about playground safety and certification standards please visit www.ipema.org.