Did you know that some of the most popular – as well as the most often broken – New Year’s resolutions are exercising more often, eating healthier meals or saving money? This year, the International Play Equipment Manufacturers Association and the Voice of Play are helping you come up with several resolutions to make together as a family instead.
1. Eat together for as many meals as possible. Various sources report that sharing meals together is related to doing well in school, lower rates of obesity, less drug and alcohol abuse and better family relationships.
2. Limit the amount of time spent on electronic devices. There are countless studies on the increasing hours spent in front of screens – both kids and parents! Make a change as a family to reduce the screen time and increase the bonding time.
3. Find activities to do outside during all seasons. Cooler temperatures don’t mean you have to be stuck indoors. Bundle up and try out your nearby playground on nicer days!
4. Spend time reading on rainy days – books, magazines, even electronic tablets are acceptable – instead of heading straight to the video games. You could even take a trip to the public library and have everyone pick out their favorite.
5. Aim to have several family game nights each month. Alternate between who chooses the game for that evening.
6. Volunteer together in some way, whether it is collecting donations or helping with a community clean-up. Find something that everyone in the family is passionate about.
Stock photos courtesy of Google
7. If eating healthier is something on your to-do list, take it a step further and cook together as a family. Let the kids select the new recipe for the week and get them involved in the preparation.
8. Try a new hobby together. Brainstorm some ideas that everyone can participate in, whether it is a sport, a type of crafting/DIY project or a form of the arts.